Deciding to undergo a cosmetic plastic surgery procedure is a major decision and one that should not be taken lightly. There are many considerations including those related to selecting the surgeon performing the procedure to your individual circumstances and expectations:
When choosing a Plastic Surgeon:
- Of utmost importance: research and understand the surgeons qualifications and experience
- Check that the premises from which the surgeon operates is accredited
- Enquire as to other locations that the surgeon operates or hospitals he or she works or has worked
- Enquire how often the surgeon has performed the procedure you require
- Assess the surgeons willingness to answer any questions you may have
- Ensure realistic expectations and outcomes for the procedure are discussed and agreed
- Ask what you can expect before, during and after the procedure
- Understand procedure costs
- Ask around – often it is those closest to you who will recommend the best surgeon in your area
It is important to do your home work and ensure you choose a qualified specialist plastic surgeon. We are advocates for our clients doing their own research however in selecting a surgeon and assessing their qualifications it is important our clients understand some basic terminology:
What is the difference between a Cosmetic Surgeon and a Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons website stipulates that “A Specialist Plastic Surgeon is a Commonwealth Government accredited plastic surgeon, trained and qualified to perform invasive cosmetic and reconstructive surgery in public and private hospitals, and accredited day surgeries. In Australia, the national Medical Board states that the “Specialist Plastic Surgeon” title can only be used by FRACS approved specialist surgeons in the recognised Specialty of Plastic Surgery.”
Why choose a specialist plastic surgeon?
Currently in Australia, it is legal for any doctor with a basic medical degree to perform surgery. Specialist Plastic Surgeons, on the other hand, have extensive surgical education and training including a minimum of 12 years medical and surgical education, with at least 5 years of specialist postgraduate training.
Mr Mutimer is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne.
Please check that your surgeon is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon by visiting: http://www.plasticsurgery.org.au/about-us/search/